Signs need to be large enough, to allow the visitors and employees to read safety messages without having to strain their eyes. Therefore, various factors such as environment, lighting and viewing distance all need to be considered when choosing a size. The recommended minimum sign sizes for symbolic and worded signs are given in AS 1319, and are as follows.
Signs in a factory or yard environment, where lighting is good and signs are mounted in reasonably prominent positions:
SYMBOLIC SIGN SIZE:
- 15mm per meter of the viewing distance.
- Upper case: 5mm per metre of the viewing distance
- Lower case: 4mm per metre of the viewing distance. (Initial capital height of lower case letters)
THE FOLLOWING FACTORS MAY REQUIRE AN INCREASE IN SIGN SIZE:
- Poor illumination
- Particularly important message
- If the sign is against a visually complex background.
If you have any questions relating to this information, please contact us before ordering your sign.